- When the thunder and lightning on the horizon are coming this way, tonight is not the night to set up a tent in the middle of the flat, featureless prairie. Idiot.
- Having lived in places like Sharjah and Calgary the last 5 years, it's very interesting to see a city with negative population growth (Ok, actually, Statcan contradicts me on this one. But very slight population growth, anyway.). After passing through Winnipeg twice, on different routes — and therefore seeing many different parts of the city — I witnessed all of two buildings under construction. One of which was a garage undergoing renovation. A very different sight from the unending amber waves of cranes smothering the UAE landcape, indeed.*
- Everyone should visit Chicago once. Or twice, if they are too young on their first visit to fully appreciate it.
- Anoushka Shankar is an infinitely superior musician to her sister. Her talents bear much further investigation.
- For the record: 36. AlabamaArizonaArkansasCaliforniaColorado
DelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyMaineMarylandMassachus ettsMichiganMinnesotaMissouriNebraskaNew HampshireNewJerseyNewMexicoNewYorkNorthDakotaOhioOregonPennsylvaniaTennesseeTexasVerm ontVirginiaWashingtonWestVirginiaWisconsin
- Holy Jesus Fuck; rents in DC are through the goddamn roof!!?!
- It's not my imagination. Montréal felafels really are better.
- If I ever open a restaurant, I'm totally calling it "Steaks on a Plate." (Alternatively: "What does Samuel L. Jackson prefer eating whenever he has a cold?")
- When planning on drinking to the point where gross motor skills become impaired, consider leaving the cell phone behind.
- I have in mind a certain personage; Turkish, preferably. Besuited is an absolute must. Able to converse with lucidity and comfort about world affairs and foreign policy. Oh, and mustn't be afraid of a little HTML, &c. If this describes you or a person you know, then please contact me forthwith. For do I have a deal for you!
- The Roof Lounge at the Park Hyatt in Toronto serves a most excellent 20-year Taylor Fladgate tawny for a remarkably reasonable $23.
- frandroid's balcony offers the best sleep a man can get, hands down. Its view is several different kinds of awesome, too.
- The walls of the rest room stall at the A&W in White River, ON contain some rather interesting Trogdor the Burninator related "literature." I do not use the punctuation in the preceding sentence lightly.
- Nine years later, and Thunder Bay still sucks.
- Greyhound Canada is infinitely preferable to Greyhound USA. I have no particular opinion to offer regarding Jefferson Coach Lines, Voyageur Coach Lines or Adirondack Trailways.
- North America is big. Like, really big.
"What is this 'pwned' you speak of, and why do you feel I am about to receive some?"
* Truth be told, the differences between Alberta and its provincial neighbours were multitudinous — worthy of a separate discussion, if I ever become afflicted with the compulsion to pontificate thereupon.